Sunday, August 1, 2010


A pleasing offering

Mark 12:41-44
Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on."


I've always like this story since I first heard it as a little girl in Sunday school. To the rest of the world, the money that the rich people threw into the treasury would seem like such a HUGE sacrifice. Yet Jesus' attention went to a poor widow who threw such a small amount - 2 copper coins. Jesus later explained that it was her attitude that made her offering so special. Yes, the rich people seemed to have given a lot, but it was only a fraction of their money. The widow, however, had given God her all... her best.

Even in my service for God, I sometimes forget this story. For example, designing is something that comes quite naturally for me. So when I design things for church, I don't give it my best since I can accomplish without much effort. Then when I see that the product looks quite nice, I get really proud of myself. But that's not how God measures our service and offering is it? God sees the heart behind it. I'm obliged to give Him my best because every skill I have came from Him.

Yalpha

I'm glad that many of us are now serving in Yalpha. However, I want to remind everyone that whenever we offer our service to God, we have to give our BEST, no matter how small our roles may seem. Don't you believe that God deserves our best?

The youth leaders have agreed... There is something seriously lacking in Yalpha, and it has something to do with the hearts of those who are serving. Search deep within your heart and ask yourself if you have truly given God your best. Sadly, even I'm ashamed to say that I haven't. I was talking to Marcus today, and he just seemed so... disappointed. He thinks he wasn't good enough as a leader. And it made me feel really sad. How much more do you think we've disappointed God?

I'm repenting to God for my lack of commitment and enthusiasm towards Yalpha. If you think you haven't been giving God your best, I hope you will do the same as well. Effervescence, let's present an offering of sacrifice that will truly please God, not one that God looks at with disappointment. From now onwards, let's give our best to God.

No comments: