Sunday, February 7, 2010

A night in the park with God


Last friday, on my way home, I suddenly had an urge to spend some quality time with God. That evening, I had just gone out with 2 of my friends from secondary school. We passed by some bars/pubs on the way and when I saw the people drinking and smoking, I just wondered how many of them were actually feeling empty inside.

While I was walking home, I just kept thinking... As the years have passed, my friends and I have become so different. Many of the people my age drink, smoke, club, sleep around. All these things are so common that not doing them seems almost strange. To most people, I probably seem like a real prude; a freak, even. I suddenly felt like I wanted to show the world that I was different not because I was a freak, but because I have God in my life. He changed me. He gave meaning to my life. I don't want and I don't need the world's approval. I want God to tell me I've been a good servant and that he's proud of me.

As I reflected on all these, I knew deep inside that I hadn't been talking to Him enough recently. Although it was already 11.30pm by the time I reached my block, I decided to spend some time in solitude with God at the park downstairs.

I had a meaningful time with God that night. There, in all the silence of the park, I looked up at the trees and the sky and soaked in His glory as I spoke to Him. And as I looked at the open sky, it felt as if the words from my mouth were floating up to him in Heaven, and there was nothing in the way. God always hears our prayer, but sometimes we pray as if we don't believe it. It took praying into an open sky to remind me that God is there. He listens.

That night when I got home, I received some "bad news". Strangely, I felt an immense peace. It felt so much like God prompted me to talk to Him to give me strength and encouragement just before it. Almost as if He was preparing me. This is the God who gave His life for me, who loves me more than anyone ever can, and whom I love and want to serve forever!

As I type this now, I remember an old hymn:

What a friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.

Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful
who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness;
take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy laden,
cumbered with a load of care?
Precious Savior, still our refuge;
take it to the Lord in prayer.
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee?
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
In his arms he'll take and shield thee;
thou wilt find a solace there.

Effervescence, reflect on the lyrics for a bit.
What a privilege for us to be able to carry everything to God in prayer?
When was the last time you spent some REAL time with God?

Love,
Germs

No comments: