Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Knowing Him




Knowing you
All I once held dear, built my life upon
All this world reveres, and wars to own
All I once thought gain I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now, compared to this

Knowing you, Jesus
Knowing you, there is no greater thing
You're my all, you're the best
You're my joy, my righteousness
And I love you, Lord

Now my heart's desire is to know you more
To be found in you and known as yours
To possess by faith what I could not earn
All-surpassing gift of righteousness

Oh, to know the power of your risen life
And to know You in Your sufferings
To become like you in your death, my Lord
So with you to live and never die

For some reason, every time I sing this song of worship during service, it never fails to bring tears to my eyes. Embarrassing as that may be, it is always the lyrics of the song that reminds me of God's grace in my life.

"All I once held dear, built my life... all I once thought gain I have counted loss..." My heart always echos in agreement as I sing these parts out. My teenage years were a wreck - I wasted years of my life on rebellion and going my own way. It sounds like a cliche, but I really mean it when I say that God changed my life. He gave it meaning.

I know you all have your dreams and ambitions. You have plans for what you want to study and what you want to be. Where does God fit in? Is He someone you're living for? Or merely a person who happens to be in your life? Are you ready to give everything up to Him? To lay every thing down before Him, at His feet? To let God take the steering wheel of your life?

All the dreams that I used to have, things I've wanted to achieve, I now realise that they are but foolishness. I've submitted them to God. I'm more interested in belonging to Him completely. I want to follow Him all my life and do His will.

Yes Lord, knowing you... there is no greater thing...

-Germs


No comments: